Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Nasty Gal Empire



Sophia Amoruso started Nasty Gal in 2006 as an online store on ebay called "Nasty Gal Vintage."


The California native said in an interview to the LA Times that the name Nasty Gal was inspired by the legendary Bette Davis. Amoruso started by exploring and scouring different thrift shops all along the California coast, and one of her most successful finds include a vintage Chanel Jacket she acquired for $8 and then sold for $1050!



By 2008, Nasty Gal evolved from being a mere ebay vintage shop, to having its own website- www.nastygal.com- and a Berkeley based warehouse with employees.

Amoruso's rapidly-growing Nasty Gal empire now has its own original collection, more than 150 employees and its own biannual publication: Super Nasty.


Super Nasty, Nasty Gal's chic magazine, has some talented collaborators including: David Black, Delaney Allen, and even the legendary Terry Richardson collaborated on the first issue.

And finally, Sophia Amoruso spoke to Style.com about her future venture: writing a book, below she shares some words of wisdom on how one doesn't have to focus on being someone else:

"I'm working on a book, and there's a chapter on role models, called "Kill your Idols," (...) If I were starting up, it would keep me down. So I just stare straight ahead and do my best every day. The whole celebrity worship thing, it's not me... I want everyone to be her own hero."



I find Nasty Gal's story incredibly inspiring. Sophia Amoruso is a truly successful and authentic businesswoman and fashionista.

Click here to read her 2012 interview with the LA Times
Click here to read Amoruso's interview on Style.com

What do you think of Sophia Amoruso's success story? 
Are you as big of a fan of Nasty Gal as I am?

Thank you for reading!

Francescaღ

28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Evi,
      Thank you so much for your visit and comment!

      Francescaღ

      Delete
  2. Hi
    Wonderful blog!
    Would you like to follow each other? (GFC, Facebook, bloglovin)
    Please let me know, I will follow back immediately.
    xoxo

    http://narvaga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl :)
      Thank you so much for your visit and comment!
      I just followed you on GFC and Bloglovin, hope you follow back!

      Francescaღ

      Delete
  3. Does look inspiring! I love your blog and congratulations for the link to your piece in the Guardian!! Auguri!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elastichica,
      Thank you so much for your visit and comment!

      Francescaღ

      Delete
  4. I love their dresses... :)
    Dont forget to enter my giveaway.
    http://www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com/2013/08/my-bday-ahai-shopping-giveaway.html
    Keep in touch,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com
    http://instagram.com/beingbeautifulpooja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pooja,
      Thank you so much for your visit and comment!

      Francescaღ

      Delete
  5. Inspiring...
    Lovely dresses!

    Hugs, Brittany, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brittany,
      Thank you so much for your visit and comment!

      Francescaღ

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Anita,
      Thank you so much for your visit and comment!
      And I just followed you on GFC, hope you follow back!
      Francescaღ

      Delete
  7. Nasty Gal is THE best. It's really crazy how quickly they've grown, I remember actually being a fan of their Ebay store when it first started, and look at it now! Btw, they have a survey you can fill out on their site now to get like 15% off everything haha ;) xx AtYourHeels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AJ,
      Thank you so much for your visit and comment!
      I will definitely do the survey now :) Thanks for the tip!
      And I just followed you on GFC, hope you follow back :)
      Francescaღ

      Delete
  8. I just loved reading about such a successful story! Nasty Gal's story is very inspiring!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, I totally agree!
      Thank you so much for your visit and comment!

      Francescaღ

      Delete
  9. i agree its a great site..!! thanks for ur visit, new post is up :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your visit and comment!

      Francescaღ

      Delete
  10. Thank you for the follow! I most definitely followed you back. :) I love your blog - the first girl's sweater is ultra cute. I look forward to reading your posts! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey :)
      Thank you so much for your visit and comment!

      Francescaღ

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Angie,
      Thank you so much for your visit and comment!

      Francescaღ

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Diana,
      Thank you so much for your visit and comment!

      Francescaღ

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting, I really appreciate your visit!