Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Powerful Women: Huma Abedin



Huma Abedin
is most famous for being Hillary Clinton's aide.
The 37-year-old was born in Chicago, but shortly after moved to Saudi Arabia and eventually returned to the US to attend George Washington University.


Abedin's political career started in 1996 (the Clinton era) when she interned for the White House, officially marking the beginning of her long career alongside Hillary Clinton.


In 2010 Huma Abedin wed the (infamous) NYC Mayor candidate Anthony Weiner.
 For her wedding dress, the always fashionable Huma helped Oscar de la Renta come up with one of the most beautiful and unique wedding dresses I've ever seen. 

Abedin said to Vogue Magazine
"I wanted to look like an Indian bride, and I wanted (the dress) to complement a jeweled choker that belonged to my grandmother, an heirloom that my mother and my sisters have all worn at their weddings."

While the American-Dominican designer, Oscar de la Renta, said: 
"It was like dressing Scheherazade, the beautiful queen from 'One Thousand and One Nights.'" 



The ultimate paragon of poise, Abedin stood by her husband's -several- public indiscretions. Her loyalty was explained in an article she wrote for Bazaar's entitled "The Good Wife" (probably referring to the famous TV Show were Juliana Margueils plays the role of the loyal wife, after her husband's public cheating scandals).
Abedin wrote:

"So why am I doing this? Because Anthony has always been a smart, caring, and dedicated person, and while he’s the same public servant who wants what’s best for the people he represents, he is now something else—a better man. New Yorkers will have to decide for themselves whether or not to give him a second chance. I had to make that same decision for myself, for my son, for our family. And I know in my heart that I made the right one."

Read more: Huma Abedin Defends Anthony Weiner's Bid for NYC Major - Anthony Weiner Scandal and Mayoral Election 2013 - Harper's BAZAAR 
Although, ultimately, one can not expect much from a marriage officiated by the man who was impeached for cheating (this comes with my infamous sarcastic tone- which my parents singlehandedly detest-).  
I have the utmost respect for Huma Abedin and Hillary Clinton. And now Huma Abedin is the 
 Forbes explained Abedin's support for her husband as something political wives must do:

"In short, Huma Abedin’s desire to support and defend Anthony Weiner the errant politician is a function of her initial attraction to Anthony Weiner, the politician. Political wives are surely different from most married women, and the difference explains why Abedin would remain in a situation that is so objectionable to the average female."

Pictures from Huma Abedin's 2007 Vogue editorial.


Abedin is currently the director of Hillary Clinton's transition team -post her secretary of state days. And, Clinton is considering running for president in 2016. 

What do you think of Huma Abedin? I personally love her gorgeous style and she has an incredible political resume: from interning at the White House during college to being the secretary of state's chief commander. And I don't doubt that she has a brilliant political career ahead of her, I sincerely hope that if Clinton seeks the 2016 election, Abedin will be by her side.

What do you think?

Thank you for reading!

Francesca

8 comments:

  1. I like your blog! Please check out my new fashion/beauty blog when you get the chance!

    http://katemossandpizza.blogspot.com

    Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taylor definitely! I'm checking it out now :)
      Thank you so much for your visit and comment!
      All the best,

      Francescaღ

      Delete
  2. Her life and career is so inspiring.. :)
    Keep in touch,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pooja! :) I agree!!
      Thank you so much for your visit and comment!
      All the best,

      Francescaღ

      Delete
  3. she's gonna look great in (prison) stripes

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, I really appreciate your visit!